The sketch at CAS(E) this Sketch this week looks like this
and the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge is Clean and Simple.
Well. This was one card that seriously did not want to come into being.
I decided very quickly roughly what I wanted to do for this sketch. The leafy bit was going to be a stamp from my Altenew Doodle Blooms set, and I have a few sentiment banners to choose from, so I would prepare a selection and see which fitted best.
I started on white card, because that's what I usually use. As I worked I thought about the sentiment banner. I knew to do it on white card would be too much white, so I thought I could do it on Kraft card. This caused me to think maybe I could make the whole card from Kraft, so I started again. Originally I planned to die cut the leaf stem, but by this point I had decided to stamp straight onto the card base. That meant I couldn't use copics. Now some time ago (I'm probably talking a year or more), after watching lots of cool youtube videos, I bought three polychromos to try, and they have sat untouched in my stash since. Yes, they were greens. So finally I got them out and had a play. I had a range of different leaves for Hubby to pick his favourite from, which he duly did, and off I went.
Once I had stamped and (badly) coloured the leaves I set about making the banner. I was so pleased with myself because the white heat embossing went really well; no warping, burning, gaps, or any of the other things that regularly happen when I try to heat emboss. Actually I never emboss straight on to a card base, because I am so bad at it.
Until today. This was the card, stamped in black, and coloured with pencil. None of my banners - all white embossed on kraft, or brown/black stamped on white - worked. I even tried toning one of them down by colouring over the white with green, but to no avail. So I decided to do the base again, and this time I would white emboss the leaf stem. Wow. This was a big step for me, believe it or not.
Amazingly it worked!. The card wasn't warped or scorched. So I started to colour it in with my pencils...and all the embossing started to scratch off. At this point I really was ready for taking a step back, but I thought I had spent so much time on this, and I knew it could look good. So I filled in the leaves with my white gel pen, then coloured over it with a green copic - no shading by this point - just a couple of layers of YG17! And it worked. I attached the banner, and while the card is not what I planned to start with, and it is far from perfect, I think it turned out okay. See what you think. Here it is
That photo looks really flat, so here it is at an angle to show the dimension of the banner
and here it is with just some of the other banners I made.
Thank you for stopping by, and enjoy the rest of your crafty day,